Things You Should Expect and Request of District Courts:
- No jailing of people who cannot pay court debts.
- No revocation of drivers’ licenses for inability to pay court debts.
- An individualized evaluation of your ability to pay at sentencing.
- Clear notice of your right to counsel before the entry of any plea & your rights if you are unable to pay your court debt. (See “Access to Counsel.”)
- An option of receiving a sentence of community service when you cannot pay.
- An opportunity to adjust your payment schedule or waive remaining payments and an opportunity to be resentenced to community service if you fall behind on payments.